We get one question on our Diabetic South Africans Facebook page every week: please can you recommend a diabetes specialist in (a certain city)?
And then we ask the diabetes community, and get amazing answers. So I thought it would be helpful to compile all of those answers in one place. If you’re looking for a diabetes specialist, take a look at the list below. I’ve included comments in italics when people had something specific to say. And if you have a diabetes specialist to recommend, please share! You can either comment on this page or on the Diabetic South Africans Facebook page.
These are all diabetic specialists recommended by the diabetes community – endocrinologists, doctors and a few diabetes educators.
Joburg diabetes specialists:
- Dr Zaheer Bayat
- Dr Sundeep Ruder at Turiya Endocrinology – 011 875 1940
- Dr Segal at Donald Gordon (Wits University Donald Gordon Medical Centre)
- Dr Jay Narainsamy at CDE Centre in Houghton, Arwyp Hospital and Sunward Park Hospital – 011 922 1141
- Prof Wing at Donald Gorden Institute – 011 356 6000
- Dr Adri Kok, Union Hospital, Alberton
- CDE in Houghton – 011 712 6000
Fantastic facility! I’m under the superb control and guidance of Dr. Stanley Landau.
1) Doctors and endocrinologists.
4) Lancet Laboratory
Doesn’t get much better than this!
- Dr Mayet at CDE Houghton is a diabetologist, Dr David Segal specializes in paediatric diabetes.
Depends on whether you have medical aid or not. As a private patient the fees are less than for medical aids.
Dr Segal is a pediatric diabetic endocrinologist and excellent with children.
- Dr Brad Merwitz – Donald Gordon Medical Centre – 011 356 6040
- CDE Houghton:
Podiatrist – Rae Bernstein
Diabetic Nurse Educator – Vanessa Brown
Ophthalmologist – Dr Peter Van Lingen/Dr A Taylor Donald
- Dr Brian Kramer or Prof Larry Distiller.
- Tabitha Hume is a really helpful registered dietician.
- Dr Erasmus and associates in Benoni:
Dr Erasmus is the best
- Diabetic Clinic at Charlotte Maxeke Hospital
Johannesburg Hospital (Charlotte Maxeke) has the best diabetic specialist in SA
- Diabetic Educator Charlotte Meschede at Parkmore Medical Centre
- Dr Reyneke at Life Springs Parkland
- Dr Chiba at Clinton Hospital Alberton
- Dr Andre Pieterse, Linksfield
- Jen Whittal: diabetic educator in Bryanston – 083 441 5089.
She empowers you with choices to make wise decisions that truly have you smiling.
- Dr Jhetam: ophthalmologist at Milpark Hospital and private clinic in Lenasia
Find a diabetes specialist in Centurion:
- Dr Wynand Jacobs near Unitas Centurion
He is the best!
Pretoria diabetes specialists:
- Dr Jacobus van Dyk in Pretoria
The best ever
- Dr Betsie Klopper in Pretoria/Hatfield.
- Dr. Smit at Pretoria East Hospital
- Dr Helena Oosthuizen at Pretoria East Hospital
- Hilda Lategan, dietician who has published diabetes cookbooks
Find a diabetes specialist in Boksburg:
- Dr Coenie Venter, Healthworx in Boksburg
Find a diabetes specialist in Secunda:
Find a diabetes specialist in Witbank:
- Dr Lombard and Kate Ratcliff at the Diabetic Clinic in Witbank – 013 697 2407
I have been with them for almost 8 years now and have got my HBA1C from 10.8 to 6.0. They arrange all your yearly appointments with Kate, the diabetic educator, the podiatrist, eye specialist and dietitian. You also see Dr Lombard every time you see the previously mentioned people. They have received awards with the medical association and are all just awesome!
- Dr Kathy Bridgens: ophthamologist
Durban diabetes specialists:
- Dr Diab in the Kloof area (Highway Diabetes Centre – 031 765 8741.
- Dr Shafeeka Tayob – Ethekwini Hospital in Durban – 031 581 2524
Paediatric endocrinologist with an interest in Type 1 diabetes.
- Dr Randeree at Parklands is an endocrinologist
- Dr Pillay in Westville.
He is a paediatric endocrinologist.
- Dr Govender, Sedeshan Soobramoney
Very good specialist
- Dr Jairam at Kingsway Hospital in Amanzimtoti. Very happy with him.
- Dr Jo Skelton (endocrinologist)
- Fiona Prins
A diabetic specialist par excellence
- Dr Govender in Umhlunga
- Julie Peacock is a registered dietitian practising in the Durban North, KZN area. She has lived with Type 1 diabetes for the last 43 years!
- Dr Yasmeen Ganie is a paediatric endocrinologist in Durban – 031 492 3467
Find a diabetes specialist in Pietermaritzburg:
- Dr Devan Gounder based at Netcare St Anne’s Medical Centre
- Dr A.Y.D. Moosa – 033 3456222.
He is also the MD of Midlands Medical Hospital in Pietermaritzburg. He is brilliant!
- Dr Russel Kirkby
- Kate Bristow
An excellent diabetes educator
Find a diabetes specialist in Hilton:
- Dr Claudine Lee in Hilton
Find a diabetes specialist in Welkom:
- Dr. Colyn: Internist at MediClinic Welkom
Find a diabetes specialist in Port Elizabeth:
Find a diabetes specialist in East London:
- Dr Sean Murray
- Unathi Daweti: diabetes nurse educator
She is the best…
Cape Town diabetes specialists:
- Prof Joel Dave
- Dr Neville Wellington at Medicross on Rosmead Ave runs a diabetes clinic
- Dr Hennie Nortje – N1 City Medical Chambers – 021 595 0922/3
- Prof Francois Bonnici, UCT Hospital
- Tygerberg Hospital
It is a referral hospital but has an amazing team in Endocrinology. Prof Zollner is amazing!
- Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital
Also popular with those of us with no medical aid!
- Tracy Ugarchund, dietician with a special interest in diabetes: Constantiaberg Mediclinic
- Denise Caron, dietician at Vincent Pallotti Hospital (Pinelands) – 021 506 4143
- Elienne Horwitz, dietician in Tamboerskloof – 021 422 5224
By far the best dietician I’ve seen. She is great at educating but she looks at what you already have in your home and helps you. She listens and her rates are covered by medical aid.
What to read next?
Take your diabetes medication: All the most helpful medication tips from the experts.
Eat healthy for diabetes: The one article you need to read about diabetes and diet.
Exercise, a little every day: Your ultimate guide to exercise with diabetes.
Lose weight, if you need to: All the most helpful weight loss tips for diabetics.