Type 2 diabetes diet
“What do I eat now that I have diabetes?” is probably the first question anyone who is newly diagnosed asks – particularly those with Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes and diet is a big question. It doesn’t help that the answer varies depending on the type of diabetes, your age, weight, what you like eating and what you can afford. We’ve written a lot about diabetes and diet, but we wanted to ask your questions directly to a dietician. That’s why we invited Donna Van Zyl to be part of our Sweet Life Talks series.
Diabetes and diet questions
We gathered your questions from our Diabetic South Africans page – watch the video below to see Donna’s helpful answers.
- “What can I eat for breakfast?” Phumzile
- “I can’t stop eating coffee and chips, what can I do?” Sheron
- “Why does coffee raise my blood sugar? I can’t give it up!” Michael
- “How can I lose weight in a healthy way? Why is it so hard?” Rehana and Charmaine and Marlene?
- “Why do the same type of food have different effects on my blood sugar?” Llewellyn
- “Does low carb work for all diabetics?”
- “Can you give a brief demo of how carb counting works, with a few examples?”
Sweet Life Talks: Donna Van Zyl
Watch dietician Donna Van Zyl interviewed by Sweet Life’s Bridget McNulty here, as they discuss the Type 2 diabetes diet.
If you’re struggling with diabetes and diet issues, please know that you’re not alone. Join us on Diabetic South Africans to talk about it.