We created this free Healthy Food Guide to help people with diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol make healthier choices. It’s also useful if you want to lose weight.
Distribution is an essential part of what makes the Healthy Food Guide work. We send free printed copies to anyone who asks for them, anywhere in South Africa. We focus mainly on public clinics, community healthcare centres and public hospitals, as we know that healthy food information is more difficult to find in the public sector.
The guide (which you can download below) offers simple advice on which foods to choose, and in what portions. It is illustrated, with very few words, so it is easy to understand no matter your language. The response has been very positive, and we are constantly asked to send out copies.
We’ve edited the Healthy Food Guide based on feedback from public clinic dieticians, National Department of Health, behavioural scientists and endocrinologists. Take a look below!
Download your free copy here
Here is an update of where and how far we have distributed the Healthy Food Guides:
- Sebokeng Hospital, Vereeniging
- Lenasia South District Hospital, Johannesburg
- Chiawelo Community Healthcare Centre, Soweto
- Southrand hospital, Johannesburg
- Carletonville Hospital, Johannesburg
- Private practice, Kyalami
- Muelmed/Medforum Mediclinic, Pretoria
- University of Pretoria Diabetes Research Centre
- Dr Pixley ka Isaka Seme Memorial Hospital, Kwa Mashu
- Montebello hospital, Dalton
- Nseleni Community Health Centre, Richards Bay
- Queen Nandi Regional Hospital, Empangeni
- Private practice, Ladysmith
- Ngwelezana Hospital, Richards Bay
- Private practice, Mount Edgecombe
- Private practice, Empangeni
- Protea Advanced Rehabilitation Centre, Durban
- Mokopane hospital, Mokopane
- Private practice, Tzaneen
- Private practice, Thohoyandou
- Private practice, Manyama
- Tshilidzini hospital, Tzaneen
- Private practice, Polokwane
- Seshego hospital, Polokwane
- Jamela clinic, Tzaneen
- Van Velden hospital, Tzaneen
- Unit R clinic, Lebowakgomo
- KwaMhlanga hospital, KwaMhlanga
- Witbank TB Specialized hospital, Witbank
- Phola clinic, Mpumalanga
- Empumelelweni CHC
- Ermelo Regional Hospital, Ermelo
- Kanyamazane CHC, Nelspruit
- Lydenburg hospital, Lydenburg
- Pella ChC, Rustenburg
- Private practice, Brits
- Koster district hosp, Rustenburg
- Private practice, Rustenburg
- Netcare ferncrest hospital, Rustenburg
- Medhuys Medical Centre, Rustenburg
- University of the Free State
- Port Alfred Hospital, Port Alfred
- Bambisana hospital, Lusikisiki
- Nompumelelo Hospital, Peddie
- Bisho Hospital, Bisho
- Delft CHC
- Private practice, Claremont
- Groote Schuur Diabetes Centre
- Tafelsig Community Day Centre (CDC)
- School of Public Health and Family Medicine, UCT
- Diabetes Community Wellness Group, Mitchells Plain
- The South African Lower Limb Foundation, Claremont
- Ikhaya Diabetes Support Group, Kayamandi Stelenbosch
- University of Free State
Do you need copies of the Healthy Food Guide, or would you like to sponsor some?
Our goal is to get this Healthy Food Guide to everyone who asks for copies. But that gets expensive – both for printing costs and courier costs. Distribution is expensive if you want to get books into the hands of people who need them!
What to read next?
Free Healthy Food Guide – how to eat healthy with diabetes or to lose weight: This Healthy Food Guide shows you exactly which foods to choose (and which to avoid), as well as sharing which portions to eat.
All the World Diabetes Day events in SA 2022: November is National Diabetes Month, and the 14th November is World Diabetes Day. We’re delighted to share the many events on offer for people living with diabetes this month.
Sweet Life’s non-profit work: The 2021/2022 year was Sweet Life’s 10th anniversary and here are just a few of the highlights from a very productive year: some of Sweet Life’s non-profit work.