Coconut & Rose Ricotta Phyllo Pastry Parcels
This recipe is a spin on the deep-fried, syrupy sweet Indian treat, “poli’, which are distinctly un-diabetic-friendly!
Makes 12 small parcels
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 2 T rose water
- 40 g fresh coconut, chopped finely (or used dessicated coconut)
- 40 g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 25 ml sweetener
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- canola oil, for brushing.
- honey, optional (and not really necessary)
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spray a baking tray with cooking spray or line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, coconut, rosewater, nuts and sweetener till well combined.
- Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with canola oil, lay another sheet on top and brush as well.
- Cut this double layer in half lengthwise and again into 3 equal portions. You will be left with 6 pieces of pastry.
- Fill one with a tablespoon of the ricotta filling. Gather the ends of the phyllo up, like a parcel, twisting to seal.
- Brush again, very lightly with oil.
- Repeat with remaining two sheets of phyllo and the filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Drizzle a little bit of honey on each parcel, if preferred (though not really necessary – they’re sweet enough on their own) and bake again at 210 degrees Celsius for 8 minutes till golden. Take care not to let them burn, as the pastry is delicate.