My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last year. I want to bring to your attention an initiative that I believe will greatly facilitate awareness and fundraising for T1D. A fellow mom of a T1 child, Jeanette Collier, and I have filed a petition to revise the type classification names of both T1 and T2 Diabetes to more accurately reflect the nature of onset of each condition. We believe this will benefit both the T1 and T2 communities and help protect our T1 children from dangers caused by prevalent misconceptions. We believe that clarity in the names given to these two types of Diabetes will enhance educational campaigns for all types; which in turn will benefit fundraising towards better treatments and a cure.
Our petition is approaching 5,000 signatures from all over the globe. It is supported by many well-respected individuals within the Diabetes community including:
- Dr. Camillo Ricordi, Scientific Director and Chief Academic Officer- Diabetes Research Institute (DRI)
- Robert A. Pearlman, President & CEO, Diabetes Research Institute Foundation (DRIF)
- Dr. G. Prakasam, Pediatric Endocrinologist, Founder/President Center of Excellence in Diabetes & Endocrinology (CEDE), past Chapter President and Board Member of ADA
- Dr. Mingder Yang, JDRF nPod Investigator Relationship Coordinator
- Moira McCarthy, Journalist/Author and JDRF National Volunteer, Chairperson and Outreach Speaker
- Della Matheson, RN, CDE; Research Coordinator, University of Miami Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Clinical Center
- Brenda Novak, Best Selling Author and Diabetes Advocate
- Scott R. King, President, CEO and Founder, Islet Sheet Medical LLC, in association with Hanuman Medical Foundation
- Dr. Stephen Ponder, Pediatric Endocrinologist, Medical Director Texas Lions Camp
- Dr. David L. Katz, Founder and Director of The Yale University Prevention Center
- Riva Greenberg, Speaker, Author and Health Coach
- Theresa Garnero, Diabetes Nurse Educator, Author, and Speaker
- Barbara J. Anderson, Ph.D., Professor of Pediatrics, Associate Head, Psychology Section, Baylor College of Medicine; Diabetes Nurse Educator/Social Worker (Joslin, Barbara Davis, and Texas Children’s)
- Bret Michaels, via Life Rocks Foundation
- Miguel Paludo, NASCAR Driver and Diabetes Advocate
- Nikki Lang, Singer/Songwriter and Diabetes Advocate
The petition can be accessed via a link on our website, DiabetesTypeConfusion.org. The response we have received so far has been amazing, but additional support is still needed to bring our efforts to the forefront. We hope that you will review our petition and consider signing and promoting our cause.
Please sign the petition here if you are interested: http://www.change.org/petitions/revise-names-of-type-1-2-diabetes-to-reflect-the-nature-of-each-disease
Thank you for your consideration!
– Jamie Perez