Are you on Discovery? Do you know about the CGM Benefit for all Type 1 diabetics? Here are some important updates.
Easier ordering through CDE Online
All people with Type 1 diabetes on Discovery Health get the CGM Benefit – here are the details, with a breakdown of exactly how much it will cost you for a FreeStyle Libre, or other CGM device.
There are two important steps to follow, to ensure you get the benefit easily and quickly:
We know there have been some teething problems with both steps, which is why we’re so happy to announce that you can now place your orders online through CDE Online – making it much easier to get your monthly CGM Benefit.
Step-by-step claiming on the Discovery CGM Benefit
You can now order your FreeStyle Libre or other CGM online. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to https://cdeonline.co.za/
- Click on ‘Medical Aid Claims Only’ in the menu.
- Click on the FreeStyle Libre button.
- Choose the sensor and click on ‘Submit through Medical Aid’.
- Click on ‘Medical Aid Basket’
- Login or sign up.
- Fill in your contact and delivery details, as well as your medical aid details, and click ‘Place Quote’.
- You will receive quote confirmation details. If there is no co-payment required, the quote will be converted into an order right away. If there is a co-payment required, you will receive an email with payment details. After payment has been made, your quote will be converted to an order.
- Then your CGM will be dispatched – quick and simple!
Are you using the Discovery CGM Benefit?
The other update about the Discovery CGM Benefit is that it’s not necessarily a benefit forever. Discovery told us that they would assess the situation after a year, and see if the clinical benefits of CGM were visible in their patients.
The problem, of course, is that you only get the benefits of CGM from using it consistently – month in and month out. It’s not something that works if you just use it for a few weeks and then ignore it for the next few weeks or months.
If you’re on Discovery and not using the benefit, we want to know why! Please tell us, either by commenting below or by emailing us. We will happily keep your responses anonymous, we just want to ensure we see the full picture.
Not on Discovery and still want a CGM Benefit?
For those not on Discovery, we see you! A number of you have been reaching out to your medical aids to ask for meetings with the decision makers to put forward the case for CGM or flash glucose monitor devices for Type 1 diabetics. If you want to speak up for members with diabetes on your medical aid, please join SA Diabetes Advocacy! Together, we can make a difference.
What to read next?
What is a CGM? Flash glucose monitoring and CGM: Not sure what the difference is, or what these words mean? Read this article.
We did it! How to claim the Discovery CGM Benefit: A step-by-step guide to claiming the new CGM Benefit.
Your options on the Discovery CGM Benefit: There are 3 CGM / flash glucose monitors available in South Africa. Here’s what they are, and how much they cost.
ADC-41143 V1 Jun 2021